Moving Your Business
In business, time is money. Use these helpful tips to make moving into your new offices quick and speedy.
- Make a packing plan. Identify the items you can pack early, those you’ll need during the final week or two before the move, and those that can’t be packed until the last couple of days.
- Your packing plan should include a list of what you’ll need immediately after you arrive at your new premises. For example: faxes, telephones, computers and deadline-related materials.
- A week before the move, call your mover and confirm your reservation.
- Make sure your utilities are transferred. A few days before the move, confirm all the necessary changes with your electricity, public utilities and telephones.
- Back up your computer data files. This cannot be overemphasized. The information in your computer systems is extremely valuable and losing it could cause you endless difficulties.
- As soon as you can, pick up the boxes and packing materials from your mover or other sources.
- Reserve enough boxes for those things you can't pack until the last minute.
- Pack according to your packing plan. Mark the boxes or containers to reflect their priority for unpacking, especially the items you'll need right after you arrive at your new premises. Color-coded stickers are a good way of denoting high, medium and low priority items. Keep in mind the need to get your business up and running as soon as possible after the move.
- Computers, phones, faxes and other office equipment will likely be a priority to unload and set up. To make this easier, put all components, operating manuals, cables and other essentials in clearly marked containers and keep them together. Make sure you know how to hook everything up with a minimum of delay.
- Make sure the high priority items are loaded last so they'll come off the truck first.
- Once the movers are ready to go, confirm when they'll arrive at your new premises.